The DOJ report on June 16, 2023, states that the DOJ has reasonable cause to believe that:
- The City and MPD engage in a pattern or practice of conduct.
- The conduct deprives people of their rights under the Constitution and federal law.
The DOJ found:
- Reasonable cause to believe MPD uses excessive force, including unjustified deadly force and other types of force.
- Reasonable cause to believe MPD unlawfully discriminates against Black and Native American people in its enforcement activities.
- Reasonable cause to believe MPD violates the rights of people engaged in protected speech.
- Reasonable cause to believe MPD and the City discriminate against people with behavioral health disabilities when responding to calls for assistance.
The DOJ also found deficiencies in MPD's:
- Accountability systems
- Officer wellness programs
The DOJ found that these systems contribute to the violation of the Constitutional and federal law.