Picking up your vehicle yourself
Vehicles can be released to the registered owner or a relative with the same last name. To have your vehicle released, you or a relative with the same last name must pay the fees and show the following information:
- Proof of insurance in your name
- Current registration, title or lease agreement
- License plate number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Picture ID such as a driver's license or Minnesota ID card
A licensed driver is required to drive the vehicle from the lot. You may also have the vehicle towed from the lot.
Authorizing someone else to pick up your vehicle
Someone other than the registered owner or a relative with the same last name may pick up the vehicle or remove property from it if they have a notarized statement from the registered owner that includes:
- The name of the authorized person
- A photocopy of the registered owner’s ID or driver’s license
- The license plate number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- The make and year of the vehicle
Notarized statements can be brought in person or faxed to the Impound Lot at 612‑370‑3974.
Picking up a rental car
To pick up a rental vehicle, you must present the rental agreement and an ID or driver’s license that matches the name on the agreement. In some cases, the rental company has to fax an authorization letter with the name of the person who can pick up the vehicle. Our fax number is 612‑370‑3974.