The commission may:
- Request programs of research and study to be conducted with the Civil Rights Department, including requesting complaint, investigation, and discipline records.
- Research complaints of police officer misconduct, and present results to the city council, mayor, and chief of police.
- Make recommendations relating to police department policies and procedures.
- Recommend training as a result of the research and study process.
- Create community outreach programs and coordinate outreach activities.
- Contribute to the annual performance review of the Police Chief.
- Recommend processes and policies for complaint investigations that build in safeguards against community members who are vulnerable to retaliation.