Vision, hearing, and fitness
To work in a police job, you must have:
- No worse than 20/100 without correction in your poorer eye, correctable to 20/40 in both eyes
- Able to distinguish the colors red, yellow and green
- No worse than a 40-decibel loss on the average at 500, 1,000 and 3,000 hertz frequencies in the better ear
The physical ability to:
- Run and chase suspects
- Wrestle and subdue suspects
- Jump and crawl over and under objects
- Lift and drag heavy objects
- Reach and maintain our department's fitness standards
We will assess your fitness when you enter the academy. Before you graduate, you need to meet the fitness standards.
|300-meter run||69 seconds|
|Bench press||150 pounds or 82% of body weight|
|1.5 mile indoor run||14 minutes and 43 seconds|
Medical, psychological and drug screening
If you receive a conditional job offer, we will ask you to take these exams.
- The exam will test your vision, hearing and physical ability to do the job.
- The exam includes
- A written personality assessment
- An interview with a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist
Drug and alcohol screening
- You will need to pass a drug and alcohol screening.
If the results meet our hiring criteria, we will make a final job offer.