Content best practices
Our website adheres to accessibility guidelines created by the World Wide Web Consortium.
We’re committed to:
- Building a digital experience for people of all abilities
- Addressing our website visitors’ needs with every piece of content we create
When we write for the web, we focus on our website visitors and their needs.
User-focused content considers:
- The content hierarchy of each page
- Storytelling in everything we do
- Search engine optimization
Good web content starts broad and gets more specific. For complex topics, start with an overview page that links to more detailed pages. Users can scan the overview page and decide whether to read an in-depth detail page.
Our purpose is to help website visitors find the information and services they need.
When writing, we will:
- Think about the tasks they want to complete
- Put the most important information first
- Consider and respect everyone who visits our site
- Follow our content creation guidelines
Our website is not a dumping ground for outdated, unnecessary or unclear content.
We want to help users find the answers they need and improve website search results.
To do this, we will:
- Put all information about the same topic in one place
- Get rid of unneeded and duplicate content
Content on the City website should be:
- Owned by the City
- About the City