Lyndale Ave. N. Plymouth Ave N to 21st Ave N
LocationLyndale Ave N from Plymouth Ave N to 21st Ave N Near-North
Vision Zero projects
The City will make safety improvements along Lyndale Ave N from Plymouth Ave N to 21st Ave N. These improvements are part of the City's Vision Zero initiative. Our goal is to end all deaths and serious injuries on our streets.
The City's Vision Zero Action Plan identifies Lyndale Ave N as a High Injury Street.
This project aims to address safety concerns along Lyndale Ave N between Plymouth Ave N and 21st Ave N. This includes the W Broadway Ave. Broadway Ave is the #1 highest crash intersection in the city.
The project will put in place quick, inexpensive solutions to
- Lower vehicle speeds
- Improve pedestrian safety
- Help us reach our Vision Zero goal to end all deaths and serious injuries on our streets.
The goals of this project include:
- Improve overall safety along corridor for all users
- Promote traffic calming and reduce vehicle speeds along the corridor
- Enhance comfort and predictability of all users
Existing street section of Lyndale Ave N; 1 travel lane and 1 shared travel/parking lane in each direction.
This part of Lyndale Ave N is currently a four-lane undivided street. This layout has particular safety challenges.
|480||30||7,750 - 9,000|
Reported crashes by travel mode on Lyndale Ave N between Plymouth Ave N and 21st Ave N.
|Transportation mode||Reported crashes||% crashes with injuries|
Source: Minnesota Department of Transportation (2019). Data is from 2016 - September 2019.
- Roadway widths
- Vehicle speeds and volumes
- Surrounding uses
- Vision Zero Policy
Existing street features
Proposed street features
- Three-lane cross section
- One lane in each direction with a center turn lane
- Buffered bike lanes added on both sides
- Lower vehicle speeds throughout the corridor
- Create shorter pedestrian crossings at intersections
- Provide dedicated left turn lanes at intersections. This should help reduce weaving and unexpected vehicle movements
Proposed street section between 14th Ave N and 18th Ave N where there are no cross streets or driveways.
Proposed street section at intersections to allow for dedicated left turn lanes.
This project is currently complete.